Sunday Night’s Shepherd Pie
This recipe can be adjusted and made for vegan/vegetarians/meatatarians. My husband is lactose intolerant so I make it dairy free.
Yield: 6 servings(or 4 in my house)
- 1lb extra lean ground beef, veggie ground or TVP
- 2 large potatoes, cubed (I use yukon gold potatoes)
- 1cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped in small pieces
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1tsp basil
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (I used daiya vegan cheese)
- salt & pepper to taste.
- a dash of paprika
1. Preheat oven to 400c. Boil cubed potatoes till cooked, drain and mash. Put to the side
2. Fry up ground beef and drain. *A trick I learned from my mother in law is to rinse the ground beef off under water for a few moments to remove any grease or oil*
3.Saute onions and garlic till clear, add tomato and spices. Add all other vegetables and cook for a few moments. Add ground beef and cook for 5-7 min longer till spices and veggies have mixed. At this time add more spices if needed.
4. Pour meat mixture into a large casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes, sprinkle cheese and garnish with paprika. Bake uncovered for 30-35min till cheese is melted and potatoes have a slight golden baked colour.